Sunday 28 August 2016

Spending time with mum.

When I submitted my plans for a Sabbatical, I included the fact that I would be spending time with my mum. I recognise that over the years that I have been a Salvation Army Officer, my parents sacrificed a lot, including spending time with me, especially when I was posted in the North of England.

Little did I know that when I submitted my sabbatical plans, that mum would need extra support, due to the fact that adaptions would be made to her home, to make it easier for her to cope with her day to day living.

So over the last two weeks we have visited some places we have never been before and other places that we frequent quite often when I have holiday during the summer.

The first visit was to the Mayfield Lavender Farm at Banstead in Surrey, this is only a few miles from mums, and was a good place to spend a Sunday afternoon. Mum spent time sitting in the outdoor cafe whilst I was able to take some photos.




After enjoying an ice cream, we then journeyed onto the Farthing Downs near Coulsdon, this was a place that we visited often when my nephews were small, as they used to enjoy flying kites. It is also a place where I have frequented when I wanted to get away from the busy-ness of Croydon.




One of the places where dad, mum and I have spent many happy hours in the summer month is Hove.  So on the Monday as work commenced on mums house, we spent some time in Hove. More often than not we are able to park in a disabled bay near Hove Lawns, we then walk very slowly to the cafe, where we have lunch and an ice cream, and then we make our way to sit on the promenade for an hour or so, before we return to the cafe for another ice cream before we make our way back to the car for the journey back to Croydon. Mum is struggling to walk very far nowadays so this means she can have a rest when needed.

The weather was fantastic, a lovely blue sky and the sun shone. So another photo opportunity.




We made another journey to Hove on Wednesday, but because of the beautiful weather, it was very busy so we were unable to park in our usual spot. So I decided that I would drive to Beachy Head. Unfortunately everywhere was busy and the journey took longer than normal, but we eventually arrived and were able to share in some spectacular views.




It is several years ago now, but there was one time I visited Beachy Head and witness the rescue services bring a body bag up the cliff, as you are probably aware there have been many suicides in the area over the years. I was really pleased to see that the Church is trying to assist with practical help through the Beachy Head Chaplaincy team.


The final journey of the first week that I spent with mum, was to Boxhill, near Dorking in Surrey. It is approximately 45 years since I last visited Box Hill. It is run by the Natioal Trust and we were able to have lunch in the cafe. I then took some photos and we concluded our visit with yet another ice cream!!!




I am grateful that I have had the opportunity to spend time with mum. Although the conversion of the bathroom and installation of a stair lift were not planned for during my Sabbatical, God's timing is perfect. After all if I was not on Sabbatical it would have been very difficult to give mum the time needed to help her at this time of transition.

So week one is now complete and in my next blog I will share with you what happened in week 2.







No comments:

Post a Comment